Abdou grew up in one of the Sub Saharan Berber villages in the Draa Valley. He came from large family and has great experience working with tourist as camel guide, later driver and recently running tour operator company. He get to know Hamid while working together in tourism. They became close friends and made their dream come true, building this magnificent "oasis" in Erg Chebbi sand dunes
Hamid grew up in the sand dunes of Erg Chebbi and knows every sand dune. He has been organizing camel treks and was responsible for many desert camps there. He felt sad that the desert is becoming too busy, full of people. That was his reason developing this Luxury camp to offer still peace of quietness and solitude that the desert should be.
What to pack
- Comfortable, lightweight and loose clothing (cotton or linen fabrics) for the day time and sweater or fleece jacket for early morning or evenings
- Comfortable, light walking shoes and sandals
- Protection agains the sun- sunscreen lotion, hat, sunglasses, lip balme and moisturizing lotion
- Camera (sand can easily get into your camera so you might consider one time use or cheaper camera)
- Interesting book (we have some available in the camp)
- Medicine (for headache, upset stomach, motion sickness)
Traveling to Merzouga is fun in itself. It is magnificent journey taking you across some dramatic and eye catching scenery. You cross the high peaks of the Atlas Mountains, green oasis of the river valleys, deep and colorful gorges and many barren tracks dotted by deserted kasbahs.
It is long voayge to Erg Chebbi sand dunes and therefore we recommend to take at least one or two days for trek into the desert. Please check into our packaged tours for recommended itineraries. However, note that we can personalized your Morocco holidays and tour.
Here are approximate driving distances to Merzouga:
|Marrakech - Merzouga||350 miles or 562 km|
|Fes - Merzouga||296 miles or 476 km|
|Ouarzazate - Merzouga||225 miles or 362 km|
|Rabat - Merzouga||370 miles or 596 km|
|Casablanca - Merzouga||387 miles or 622 km|
Arriving by rental car (sedan)
If you are arriving by small car, please make your way to Merzouga . Upon arrival you will see two roads one taking you to the city of Merzouga and other going along the sand dunes towards Taouz. Follow the road to Taouz 14km, there on the road you will see sign to DesertLuxuryCamp. Turn left and drive 3km off road (fine for small car), here you reach little auberge where you can leave your car parked. From here you can take either camels, walk to the camp or we can arrange pick up in 4x4 WD.
Transfer in 4x4WD
We can provide transfers in 4x4 WD to the camp anywhere from Morocco. For itineraries and prices please email us or check our sample itineraries.
There is possibility to book helicopter transfers from Marrakech directly to the camp. The flight takes about 4 hours and 45 minutes return flight and cost about 11,000 € for return flight.
The closest commercial airport to Merzouga is Errachidia, about 2 hours to the camp. There is flight twice a week from Casablanca (Wednesday and Sunday) and three times a week on the return to Casablanca (Monday, Thursday and Saturday). For fares and schedules please check the Royal Air Maroc Website.
The airport in Ouarzazate is approximately 5 - 6 hours from the camp. There is daily flight available from Casablanca.
Transfers to the camp are available from both airports.
Part of the experience in staying in our camp is to enjoy meals that are prepared with special care.
We have kitchen on the property so all meals are prepared fresh before your arrival from local produced ingredients. We are employing chef that is experienced and learn the art of cooking in one of the culinary schools in Marrakech.
Dinners are always a 3 -courses feast including salads or/and soups, main meal Moroccan typical dish such as different types of tajin, lamb mechoui or seven vegetable couscous followed by desert that is assortment of seasonal fruit and/or pastry.
Breakfast is wide variety of different jams, cheeses, oils, honey. We always offer yogurts and different types of Moroccan pancakes. Often fresh bake bread is serve with your breakfast. Eggs are prepared by order and of course freshly squeezed orange juice and coffee and tea are part of the desert breakfast.
Lunch generally serve as picnic is rather light and includes salad, brochettes or grilled chicken and seasonal fruit.
Since we have kitchen on the property we can tailor to any dietary requirements you might have from vegetarian to gluten free. We also provide on request children meals from pizzas to pasta dishes. If you are celebrating birthdays or honeymoons and like to get cake prepared for you, please let us know in advance.
Dinner can be served either under the stars or in the dining tent, breakfast is served under the morning sun. Don't forget that cold drinks are always available.
If you like to come only for lunch let us know it can certainly be arranged.
We are learning about how to be the most ecological to the natural environment but we already take the following steps to ensure conscious tourism without leaving negative impact on the environment:
- Leaving no trace of any garbage/waste behind. There are garbage bins around the camp and we ensure that nothing is left in any surrounding areas
- We recycle plastic bottles
- Vegetable, fruit scraps and left over meals, bread are used for animals, camels in the camp or given to Nomads living in the area
- Solar energy power is used in the camp
- Hammam bathroom towels (quick to dry and low water consumption)
- Food and Travel - Ten great glamping experiences
- Luxury and Boutique Hotels
- Wüstentour durch Marokko (Ausreiser)
- Camping in the Sahara (Beauty and the Bump)
- Memories from Morocco: Sahara & a desert camp (Finally my darling)
- Suite of the week: Desert Luxury Camp, Merzouga Erg Chebbi sand dunes, Morocco (A Luxury Travel Blog)
- Desert Luxury Camp in Erg Chebbi, Morocco (Luxury Travel Diary)